A federal judge has determined that Johnson & Johnson lost or destroyed thousands of key documents related to their vaginal mesh products.
Keywords: gynecare, prolift, mesh, vaginal, erin brockovich, gorsky, lawsuit
Date Created/Edited: March 2, 2014
As covered in my previous article, And Now the Mesh Mess, there were many risks with mesh implants that were not disclosed to the FDA, doctors and patients.
And now for more craziness, it seems that Johnson & Johnson was accused, and convicted of losing or destroying key documents related to vaginal mesh products. Check out the progression of this conspiracy as it continues to unfold:
On or around 19-July-2012: New Jersey Court Orders Depositions of Top Johnson & Johnson Executives in Transvaginal Mesh Litigation. This order included a search of the computers belonging to: Alex Gorsky, Sheri McCoy and Gary Pruden. If documents were found implicating William Weldon, his deposition would be required as well.
On or around 27-August-2013: In the first Bellwether trial against Bard, another company with a similar product, a jury decided for the plaintiff who was awarded $250,000 in compensatory damages and $1.75 million for punitive damages. The link above also informs us that in 2012, a Jury trial resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff, who received $5.5 million in total damages.
On or around 2-December-2013: Documents were filed accusing Johnson & Johnson of losing or destroying THOUSANDS of key documents related to vaginal mesh.
On or around 23-January-2014: A federal judge determined that Johnson & Johnson did, indeed, lose and destroy key files related to vaginal mesh.
And for the kicker: The 10-February-2014 trial against Johnson & Johnson for their vaginal mesh product was dismissed based on insufficient evidence. Uh, go figure. Seems that we can sort of figure out WHY there was insufficient evidence - well, Johnson & Johnson lost or destroyed thousands of key files relating to vaginal mesh, remember? Yep, crime does pay...
I wonder how this will affect the folks in Canada, Israel and Australia (where Erin Brockovich has joined the battle against J&J) who have filed lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson's known defective mesh products.
The current CEO of Johnson & Johnson, Alex Gorsky, was Worldwide Chairman of Medical Devices & Diagnostics Group at Johnson & Johnson since February 2008. Why did he wait two years, when complaints were already beginning to pile up, before removing known harmful mesh products from the market? He was the decision-maker at that time. Imagine that, first he was the decision-maker for Risperdal/Omnicare, AND the decision-maker for Metal-on-Metal Hips, now the decision-maker for TVTMesh. Oh, and a few other things, like faulty rectum staplers which killed a couple people and defective insulin pump that killed at least one person.
Alex Gorsky's choices have harmed hundreds of thousands, if not a million people, without regret or remorse. His sole motivation is money, at any expense, even the health and prosperity of the victims of his corrupt choices. His victims contact me regularly and ask what we can do to put an end to his career and have him stripped of all assets. I have no clue, but these people have been dumped on public health care and disability, covered up by ObamaCare, and these life-long victims of Alex Gorsky's corruption are bankrupting the healthcare system as well as Social Security Disability. These are victims of JOHNSON & JOHNSON - J&J should be footing the bills, not the American taxpayer.
1. Emily Patterson (2014, March 2). And Now the Mesh Mess. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/mesh.shtml
2. Adam Slater, Esq. (2012, July 23). New Jersey Court Orders Depositions of Top Johnson & Johnson Executives in Transvaginal Mesh Litigation. Digital Journal. Retrieved from http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/804822#ixzz2uoj9xHXG
3. Joseph Genovesi (2013, August 27). Verdict in Vaginal Mesh Bellwether Trial Foreshadows Settlements. PRWeb. Retrieved from http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11053221.htm
4. Rochelle Rottenstein, Esq. (2014, January 30). Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit News: MDL Court Considers Claim That Ethicon Destroyed Evidence, Rottenstein Law Group LLP Reports. PRWeb. Retrieved from http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11534579.htm
5. Rochelle Rottenstein, Esq. (2014, January 31). Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit News: MDL Court Considers Claim That Ethicon Destroyed Evidence, Rottenstein Law Group LLP Reports. PRWeb. Retrieved from http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11534579.htm
6. Andrea Lannom (2014, February 18). Judge rules: Insufficient evidence given that pelvic mesh was defective. Charleston Daily Mail. Retrieved from http://www.charlestondailymail.com/policebrfs/201402180076?page=1
7. CTVNews.ca Staff (2012, June 5). Company to stop selling pelvic mesh tied to complication. CTV News. Retrieved from http://www.ctvnews.ca/company-to-stop-selling-pelvic-mesh-tied-to-complications-1.835338
8. Itzhak Dannon (2013, October 12). Woman Sues Johnson & Johnson in Possible $1.7 Billion Class Action Suit. Jewish Business News. Retrieved from http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/10/12/woman-sues-johnson-johnson-in-possible-1-7-billion-class-action-suit/
9. Natasha Boddy (2013, September 20). WA women sue over medical device. The West Australian. Retrieved from http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/19013651/wa-women-sue-over-medical-device/
10. Emily Patterson (2014, March 2). Erin Brockovich Joins Battle Against Johnson & Johnson for TVT Mesh. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/erin_brockovich_tvt_mesh.shtml
11. Emily Patterson (2014, February 16). Johnson & Johnson $JNJ Dominic Caruso: SAVE MONEY! FIRE GORSKY!. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/mesh_document_destruction.shtml
12. Emily Patterson (2013, June 7). Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky and the $5+ Billion Risperdal Medicaid Scandal. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/alex_gorsky_risperdal.shtml
13. Emily Patterson (2013, August 22). Johnson & Johnson $4 Billion for DePuy Hip Harm in U.S., With Lawsuits in at Least 4 More Countries. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/hip_lawsuits.shtml
14. Emily Patterson (2013, September 22). Johnson & Johnson Pelvic Mesh Lawsuits Go Global. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/mesh_global_lawsuits.shtml
15. United States Food and Drug Administration (2012, August 3). Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. Proximate PPH Hemorrhoidal Circular Stapler and Accessories 33mm, Proximate HCS Hemorrhoidal Circular Stapler and Accessories 33mm and the Transtar Circular Stapler Procedure Set. United States Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/ListofRecalls/ucm325570.htm
16. Linda A. Johnson (2012, January 12). Johnson & Johnson Under Scrutiny By FDA For Delay In Reporting Insulin Pump Problems. Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/12/johnson-johnson-insulin-pump-fda-problems_n_1201641.html