POSTED APRIL 9, 2018: Without financial support, site goes down on April 26, 2018. I can't do this alone... have not had even one gift of support since February. I am homeless and on the streets, I have NO MONEY for this. I really need some help to keep this six years of work online, PLEASE.
THIS WORK FOR SAFE HEALTHCARE PRODUCTS IS BEING DONE BY A 50 YEAR OLD HOMELESS WOMAN, homeless and on the streets since 2011 after loss of my management job and subsequent foreclosure on my house. I grew up in foster care so I have no family and no friends in a position to help me. I REQUIRE ENOUGH MONEY FOR ONLY THREE THINGS:
1. Cell phone with internet access. I cannot load files TO the web site from public service connections. This block is required to prevent hackers from using public access connections. I cannot write content and load it to the site until my phone is back on. Phone was shut down on the fourth because I have NO MONEY and almost NO SUPPORT FOR THIS WORK.
2. 4 foot by 4 foot storage unit to keep computer, periferals, back-ups and what pathetic little I have left of my life, destroyed by my ex, long story. Storage was locked up by managment on the 9th due to non-payment because I have NO MONEY and almost NO SUPPORT FOR THIS WORK. I have been wearing the same filthy stinking clothes for 10 days now because I have NOTHING LEFT BUT THE CLOTHES ON MY BACK AND A BAG WITH LAPTOP AND SOME TOILETRIES. The bag will likely get stolen in the near-distant future because I have to sleep sometimes and can't keep watch on the bag when I'm sleeping. Already had FIVE laptops stolen because I have to sleep. It was why I got the storage unit in the first place.
3. SERVER FEES TO KEEP ALL THIS WORK ONLINE. Obviously, no server space, no site, total end of this effort. I have NO MONEY to pay the server fees that are due on the 26th.
Must have to continue: $250
Gifts of support sent
as of 4 PM April 19, 2018: $0
NOT ONE PENNEY SINCE FEBRUARY. I stretched the money from January and February to cover January, February and March. I have less than $2 left.
Of the 2 million page views this site has received, over 6,000 were from Johnson & Johnson servers. I'm sure they are celabrating my failure to obtaion financial support and look forward to the site going down on the 26th. Crossing their fingers that no one chooses to help.
I'm sorry I have no money to pay for the tools REQUIRED to continue this work. I wish I did, I hate the thought of all this work going offline after 6 YEARS of a massive amount of work, 100 hour weeks. But if there's no support, I guess people are okay with the way Johnson & Johnson does business and all this work will be gone in less than a week. I did what I could...
Johnson & Johnson CEO Gorsky claims that high drug costs are due to high costs of drug development. Uh, but TAXPAYERS pay for drug development by funding grants for the National Institutes of Health.
Keywords: taxes, drug, development, gorsky, pharma, pharmaceutical, grant, tax
Date Created/Edited: November 25, 2014
I get kind of tired of hearing about the 'high cost of drug development' from pharma reps like Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky. Does he REALLY not know where the money for drug development comes from? Or maybe he thinks the rest of us don't know where drug companies get their money for pharmaceutical research? I understand that some people still think money for drug development comes from investments by big boys like J&J, but that's simply not the truth.
The money for drug development comes from grants by the United States Department of Human Services, National Institutes of Health. The US DHS, NIH is funded by American tax dollars. For example, the US DHS, NIH approved more than $21.8 billion for fiscal year 2014. Almost $170 millio of that was given to pharma companies and universities countries other than the United States. This was a bit lower than 2013, when NIH wrote $22.5 billion in grants, with $232 million going to foreign drug research.
Why are Americans footing the bill for drug research in foreign countries?
If J&J Alex Gorsky et al feel the need to overprice drugs to recover the money invested in developing the drugs, how about they pay us back the money used to create the drugs that they got from our taxes through the National Institutes of Health? Hm.
Does anyone else think that there is something wrong with Americans paying twice to develop a new drug or device? So, we pay for drug development with our taxes AND outrageously inflated drug prices. Talk about a hell of a racket!
Worse yet, with more than 48,500 lawsuits against them, Johnson & Johnson isn't even using our money to create decent products!
And we wonder WHY health care costs so much?
1. Bernard Munos (2014, November 20). The Ugly Cost Of Developing New Drugs -- Can We Make It Prettier? Forbes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmunos/2014/11/20/the-ugly-cost-of-developing-new-drugs-can-we-make-it-prettier/
2. National Institutes of Health (Fiscal year 2014). NIH Awards by Location & Organization United States Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved from http://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm?ot=&fy=2014&state=&ic=&fm=&orgid=&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=
3. National Institutes of Health (Fiscal year 2013). NIH Awards by Location & Organization United States Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved from http://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm?ot=&fy=2013&state=&ic=&fm=&orgid=&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=
4. Emily Patterson (2014, September 18). Johnson & Johnson Global Lawsuit Update: 48,500 and Skyrocketing Johnso and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/lawsuit_update.shtml