Bribery, hiding risks, withholding safety date from the FDA, false and misleading marketing in violation of FDA regulations, and so much more corruption - with one man always involved: Alex Gorsky.
Keywords: jnj, johnson and johnson, johnson & johnson, J&J, alex, gorsky, salary, corruption
Date Created/Edited: November 9, 2012
In, "Facts About Johnson & Johnson Bill Weldon CEO Successor Alex Gorsky", we covered how JNJ CEO Alex Gorsky has his illegal little paws in a whole lot of J&J issues, from Omnicare kickbacks, Medicaid fraud, defective hips and the latest addition, the Mesh Mess. Let's take a look at Alex Gorsky's commendable list of bribery, thievery, misrepresentation and more. I'm trying to think of why Billy chose him to lead the company. Where is he leading the company other than into a quagmire of harmed patients and lawsuits? It seems that he's built his career destroying the image of Johnson & Johnson.
Alex Gorsky started at Johnson & Johnson in 1988. By 1998, Gorsky was in a position to be part of the international bribery in the European division. It is the same strategy of bribery, inflating prices, payoffs and kickbacks to market Levaquin, Risperdal, vaginal mesh and artificial metal-on-metal hips. Prior to running away to Novartis in 2004, Gorsky was based in London as company group chairman for Johnson & Johnson for Europe, the Middle East and Asia. This was around the time of the bribery charges by the SEC for JNJ bribery in Greece, Poland, Romania and paying kickbacks to officials in Iraq to secure contracts under the Oil for Food program.
FDA WARNING: Dear Healthcare Provider in violation of numerous FDA regulations (Sent: 4/19/2004)
The first warning letter sent regarding the Risperdal "Dear Healthcare Provider" letter, sent out in November of 2003 (while Gorsky was the main person responsible for the letter), that contained promotion such as downplaying risks, non-disclosure of risk and, according the letter, "is a serious public health issue." The "Dear Healthcare Provider" letter presented Risperdal in violation of numerous FDA codes was sent to by the FDA in April of 2004. Alex Gorsky left Johnson & Johnson and went to Novartis in May of 2004. It looks like Alex bailed as soon as he could after the letter regarding Risperdal was received. Interesting.
FDA WARNING: (sent: 8/8/2007)
While Alex Gorsky was working at Novartis, he received a letter regarding the misrepresentation, illegal promotion and downplaying and/or hiding known risks of Exelon. The violations were almost exactly the same violations Alex Gorsky had already received for Risperdal when at Johnson & Johnson.
In 2008, Gorsky begged his way back into JNJ and split before it hit the fire at Novartis, just like he did when he left JNJ in 2004. Very interesting, indeed. He slid right into medical devices and was the decision-maker for numerous harmful products.
FDA WARNING: Animas insulin pumps known defective (sent: 12/27/2011)
It's scary, but true. Johnson & Johnson was aware that there was a problem with the insulin pumps. However, the FDA Warning letter indicates that the remaining defective insulin pumps were sold to unsuspecting patients. According to the FDA Warning letter, "...no rationale was documented in CAPA (b)(4) to explain why it was acceptable for your firm to continue to use the remaining (b)(4) with known failure modes during insulin pump production." Yep, there you have it. Even when JNJ is fully aware of a product defect, they still sell the remaining batch. But then again, they get two sales for the price of one since eventually. The patient will be affected by the defective device and need to purchase one that is not defective. Gee, hope the shareholders don't get the defective products - they are patients, too.
FDA WARNING: Synthes facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania (sent: 2/16/2012)
As if his current list of corruption and wrong-doing wasn't enough, Gorsky finalized the completion of Johnson & Johnson purchasing Synthes. Synthes is a corporation that makes medical devices with a history of corruption leading to wrongful death lawsuits and a huge list of FDA violations in their West Chester, Pennsylvania facility in the United States. They fit right in with the corrupt crew at Johnson & Johnson.
Remember that Gorsky was head of medical devices? You read the list of corruption, I hope. Now, let's look at the next item: FDA Scientists Complain to Obama of 'Corruption'
Which department do you think they were complaining about? The department they were most concerned about was medical devices, which is Gorsky's area of expertise. Toss in his history of corruption throughout his career at Johnson & Johnson as well as during his time at Novartis. Interesting, huh?
The Cordis Corporation, which is a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, has recently had a heart stent fast-tracked through the corrupt medical devices department of the FDA and approved for use in humans. Knowing the corruption of the medical devices unit of the FDA is so corrupt that one of the whistleblowing scientists stated: "The purpose of this letter is to inform you that the scientific review process for medical devices at the FDA has been corrupted and distorted by current FDA managers, thereby placing the American people at risk." The corrupt managers stated they are looking into the allegations that they order, coerce and/or intimidate FDA scientists to recommend approval on a product and retaliation if the scientist does not do as they had been told by managers who are corrupt, putting corporate profits ahead of human safety.
The latest heart stent (not to be confused with the stolen patent heart stent that a judge ordered compensation and for JNJ to shut down production) was fast-tracked through the process by a man that states: "You don't have to get it 100% right," Gorsky says. "When you get it 60%, go! Any more time that you spend trying to figure it out, you're going to lose in the speed that you're missing out on."
With the amount of corruption involving bypassing all safety standards, ignoring quality checks and an FDA process in Gorsky's department totally corrupt according to 9 scientists in addition to a CEO of a company whose products have been pumped out and pushed through at 60%, do you really want these medical devices (such as the recently approved S.M.A.R.T. by Cordis, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson) installed in your body or the body of someone you love?
1. Emily Patterson (2012, May 3). Facts About Johnson & Johnson Bill Weldon CEO Successor Alex Gorsky. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/alex_gorsky.shtml
2. Emily Patterson (2012, October 1). Johnson & Johnson Levaquin Victim Permanently Disabled John Fratti. . Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/levaquin_john_fratti.shtml
3. Emily Patterson (2013, June 7). Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky and the $5+ Billion Risperdal Medicaid Scandal. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/alex_gorsky_risperdal.shtml
4. Emily Patterson (2014, July 3). Johnson & Johnson Destroys Thousands of Files Related to Vaginal Mesh. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/mesh_document_destruction.shtml
5. Thomas W. Abrams, R.Ph., M.B.A. (2004, April 19). FDA WARNING LETTER. United States Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/EnforcementActivitiesbyFDA/WarningLettersandNoticeofViolationLetterstoPharmaceuticalCompanies/ucm055315.pdf?utm_source=fdaSearch&utm_medium=website&utm_term=johnson%20&%20johnson%20marketing%20letter%20risperdal&utm_content=1
6. Bloomberg Executive Profile (current). Executive Profile Alex Gorsky Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of Executive Committee and Chairman of Finance Committee, Johnson & Johnson. Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved from http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=9897075&ticker=JNJ&previousCapId=139677&previousTitle=JOHNSON%20%26%20JOHNSON
7. Thomas Abrams, R.Ph., M.B.A. (2007, August 8). FDA WARNING LETTER. United States Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/EnforcementActivitiesbyFDA/WarningLettersandNoticeofViolationLetterstoPharmaceuticalCompanies/ucm054180.pdf
8. Kirk Sooter (2011, December 27). FDA WARNING LETTER. United States Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/2011/ucm285656.htm
8. Emily Patterson (2012, October 17). Johnson & Johnson Synthes: Corruption, Lawsuits and FDA Violations. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/synthes_corruption_lawsuits.shtml
9. FOX News Staff Writer (2009, January 8). FDA Scientists Complain to Obama of 'Corruption'. FOX News. Retrieved from http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/08/fda-scientists-complain-obama-corruption/
10. Emily Patterson (2014, November 9). Johnson & Johnson CEO Alex Gorsky's Career Long Cloud of Corruption. Johnson and Toxin. Retrieved from http://www.johnsonandtoxin.com/alex_gorsky_corruption.shtml
11. Business Wire (2012, November 8). S.M.A.R.T.® Vascular Stent Systems Receive FDA Approval for Use in SFA. Daily Finance. Retrieved from http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/08/smart-vascular-stent-systems-receive-fda-approval-/?source=TheMotleyFool